Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Life is Czech-tastic

While hanging out last night my friend Alejandra coined the phrase "czech-tastic" and I have decided to make it my life's mission to make it part of everyday use here at Vinarska and hopefully eventually spread it to the world. First a definition:
Czech-tastic: adj. used to describe something that is completely and utterly Czech, which may often mean it is weird, unnecessarily complex, or has a high alcohol content. Although it all must be fabulous in some way as well: that pivo is totally Czech-tastic.
So, some examples of things that are czech-tastic would be:
  1. Czech Easter Traditions: a boy makes (or buys) a whip that they then use to go door to door whipping girls while singing easter carols, the girls then give them eggs or a shot. There is also something about dousing girls in water, still not sure about that one but I did get water thrown on me.
  2. Czech Pivo: fabulous beer with a high alcohol content, I don't think I need to say more. Oh except they dyed it green the other day...Czech-tastic!
  3. Czech Movies: these are harder to describe so I would suggest reading this movie summary of "The Buttoners" to fully understand typical Czech movies (its's short). Buttoners - Trailer - Cast - Showtimes - NYTimes.com
  4. The SUPO system at Massaryk University: the University made me open a Czech bank account that they put money into, I then have to withdraw the money and deposit it in a SUPO machine that I can find around campus in order to give the money back to the school to pay rent.
Anyway, life is fabulously Czech-tastic. I head to Poland this weekend and I just was in Spain last weekend to see Biggs, my roommate from home. Here are some pictures:

No comments:

Post a Comment