Thursday, April 22, 2010

Adventures in Nudle: making friends and getting fed

By far one of the greatest things in the Czech Republic are the non-stop walk up food windows. They are all over the place, open late at night, perfect for 3 in the morning waiting for the night bus munchies (after a late night of studying in the library of course). They are super cheap with some pretty shady food along with some gloriously fried food. They are normally run by a vietnamese family, and are often serve various asian food. Granted, actually figuring out exactly what nationality it is supposed to be is near impossible except it is never Vietnamese, even if the owner is.
So, Saturday morning, after a late night...studying, we were catching a bus to Prague for the day. I stopped by a random "Japanese" non-stop, SuSushi. They serve sushi, though no sane person would ever get it. Anyway, I walk up to the window and decide for a change of pace to get some chow-mein type noodles. I've never had them before and the word on the menu is "nudle" so I order pronouncing it "noodle" which I thought was a solid guess for the pronunciation. The guy looked at me like I was crazy, so I repeated, and he continued to confusedly stare. Eventually I point and he goes "OH! Nood-lay" and proceeds to get my food while giving me a quick Czech lesson. After, we got back from Prague that night it was 3 am and I was starving, so I decided, with my new knowledge of the correct pronunciation of nudle I would go order some, I walk in and confidently order "Nudle prosim" and get a look of pure and utter apathetic distaste combined with a look that says "what the fuck are you trying to order" from the woman behind the counter. So, I try again, add frustrated with idiot american to the look. Eventually, she goes "nudle" pronounced exactly how I had pronounced it, and begins making it for me. This is the point that I become best friends with the other workers at SuSushi who begin asking me where I'm from, how much Japanese do I know, why don't I speak Czech, what I'm studying. Now whenever I go in there (even though we went over the fact I don't speak Japanese, and neither do they for that matter) they greet me with Konichiwa and give me extra nudle. Now I've managed to make myself hungary with all this talk of nudle, so I'm off to be fed.

No comments:

Post a Comment