Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Laundry

Laundry here is quickly becoming the biggest pain in my ass. First, due to the loss of some keys and the breaking of some machines, there is currently one washing machine for 200 people with one key to the door in my dorm. This means that no one ever knows where the key is. Therefore it becomes quite difficult to actually manage to do laundry. As a partial solution to this there is a laundromat/bar called "ClubWash" that the International Students Club advertises. They'll do your laundry if you bring it to them as well as pick it up from the dorm and bring it back to you. All for a pretty reasonable price. So due to the fact that I couldn't get the laundry key I decided to email ClubWash to get them to pick up my laundry. Unfortunately, due to technical difficulties, they were unable to pick up until wednesday but told me if I dropped it off before tuesday they would have it back to me by wednesday. So, because I'm desperately in need of clean laundry, I set out today for ClubWash around 1:30 pm. I hauled my laundry across town on multiple trams. Dragged it through a pretty sketchy Brno neighborhood to get to ClubWash, only to find that ClubWash does not open until 5pm. So I had to haul it back to my dorm and after all that effort I am still without clean clothes. Thank god for the shink where I've been hand-washing my clothing.

2 comments:

  1. I finally figured out how to comment on these. I feel really proud.

    Your story reminds me of when I found out, after a month of living in Poland, that the soap I put in the machine never got to my laundry...

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha...this sounds so familiar becuase we have the same problem here. I live in a dorm with 800 students and there are 3 washing machines. Typically, the laundry keys just rotate between students, meaning there's really only 100 people or so doing laundry in the building. If you luck out and have the key, you can expect to have 20 or 30 people knock on your door to ask you if they can have the key next. My solution to the problem has been to befriend as many people as possible with apartments near campus, and then mooch off their laundry machine. On occasion i'll bring over a bottle of vodka as payment and forget about he laundry and wake up with a headache and dirty clothes.

    To Shannon- I too had the same issue with the soap. Its just one of many things that makes living here just a little bit more difficult then living at home (even after 6 months of immersion). btw- where in Poland were you? I'm currently living and working in Wroclaw.

    walky...lets talk soon about the reunion!

    ReplyDelete